1. Hear this, all you peoples; listen, all who live in this world,
2. both low and high, rich and poor alike:
3. My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding.
4. I will turn my ear to a proverb; with the harp I will expound my riddle:
5. Why should I fear when evil days come, when wicked deceivers surround me-
6. those who trust in their wealth and boast of their great riches?
7. No man can redeem the life of another or give to God a ransom for him-
8. the ransom for a life is costly, no payment is ever enough-
9. that he should live on forever and not see decay.
10. For all can see that wise men die; the foolish and the senseless alike perish and leave their wealth to others.
11. Their tombs will remain their houses forever, their dwellings for endless generations, though they had named lands after themselves.
12. People, despite their riches, do not endure; they are like the beasts that perish.