1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, according to the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,
2. To Timothy, my dear son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3. I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers.
4. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy.
5. I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.
6. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
7. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
8. So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God,