8. Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for you; your name and renown are the desire of our hearts.
9. My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgments come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
10. Though grace is shown to the wicked, they do not learn righteousness; even in a land of uprightness they go on doing evil and regard not the majesty of the LORD.
11. O LORD, your hand is lifted high, but they do not see it. Let them see your zeal for your people and be put to shame; let the fire reserved for your enemies consume them.
12. LORD, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us.
13. O LORD, our God, other lords besides you have ruled over us, but your name alone do we honor.
14. They are now dead, they live no more; those departed spirits do not rise. You punished them and brought them to ruin; you wiped out all memory of them.
15. You have enlarged the nation, O LORD; you have enlarged the nation. You have gained glory for yourself; you have extended all the borders of the land.
16. LORD, they came to you in their distress; when you disciplined them, they could barely whisper a prayer.
17. As a woman with child and about to give birth writhes and cries out in her pain, so were we in your presence, O LORD.
18. We were with child, we writhed in pain, but we gave birth to wind. We have not brought salvation to the earth; we have not given birth to people of the world.
19. But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.
20. Go, my people, enter your rooms and shut the doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until his wrath has passed by.
21. See, the LORD is coming out of his dwelling to punish the people of the earth for their sins. The earth will disclose the blood shed upon her; she will conceal her slain no longer.