1. While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples
2. and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."
3. So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?" "John's baptism," they replied.
4. Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus."
5. On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
6. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.
7. There were about twelve men in all.
8. Paul entered the synagogue and spoke boldly there for three months, arguing persuasively about the kingdom of God.
9. But some of them became obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way. So Paul left them. He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus.
10. This went on for two years, so that all the Jews and Greeks who lived in the province of Asia heard the word of the Lord.