1. The divisions of the gatekeepers: From the Korahites: Meshelemiah son of Kore, one of the sons of Asaph.
2. Meshelemiah had sons: Zechariah the firstborn, Jediael the second, Zebadiah the third, Jathniel the fourth,
3. Elam the fifth, Jehohanan the sixth and Eliehoenai the seventh.
4. Obed-Edom also had sons: Shemaiah the firstborn, Jehozabad the second, Joah the third, Sacar the fourth, Nethanel the fifth,
5. Ammiel the sixth, Issachar the seventh and Peullethai the eighth. (For God had blessed Obed-Edom.)
6. Obed-Edom's son Shemaiah also had sons, who were leaders in their father's family because they were very capable men.
7. The sons of Shemaiah: Othni, Rephael, Obed and Elzabad; his relatives Elihu and Semakiah were also able men.
8. All these were descendants of Obed-Edom; they and their sons and their relatives were capable men with the strength to do the work--descendants of Obed-Edom, 62 in all.
9. Meshelemiah had sons and relatives, who were able men--18 in all.
10. Hosah the Merarite had sons: Shimri the first (although he was not the firstborn, his father had appointed him the first),
11. Hilkiah the second, Tabaliah the third and Zechariah the fourth. The sons and relatives of Hosah were 13 in all.
12. These divisions of the gatekeepers, through their chief men, had duties for ministering in the temple of the LORD, just as their relatives had.
13. Lots were cast for each gate, according to their families, young and old alike.
14. The lot for the East Gate fell to Shelemiah. Then lots were cast for his son Zechariah, a wise counselor, and the lot for the North Gate fell to him.
15. The lot for the South Gate fell to Obed-Edom, and the lot for the storehouse fell to his sons.
16. The lots for the West Gate and the Shalleketh Gate on the upper road fell to Shuppim and Hosah. Guard was alongside of guard:
17. There were six Levites a day on the east, four a day on the north, four a day on the south and two at a time at the storehouse.
18. As for the court to the west, there were four at the road and two at the court itself.
19. These were the divisions of the gatekeepers who were descendants of Korah and Merari.